Monday 9 December 2013

Fancy a good tuck!?

Do you remember 'tucking-in'? I had this discussion with the The Amazing Lady T last night, as I got into bed and did the cold bed dance. (Oh you know what the cold bed dance is! It's when you lay on your back under the covers and quickly kick your feet up and down to warm up a bit.) I was feeling a bit chilly, so I tucked the duvet in all around me so I looked like some kind of duvet based Merman. It was lovely! And pretty soon, was as snug as a bug in a rug. Or 'snugger than a bugger in a duvet' (depending on your view). Then I remembered tucking-in. Ahhh.

Sadly, with the dawning of the age of the duvet, the days of sheets and blankets seem a lifetime ago. Now I know 'tucking-in' wasn't on everybody's wish list. Good Lady T for instance used to hate being tucked-in as a child and would untuck herself as soon as she could. Although she is a little claustrophobic, (Not an easy word to spell at this hour of the morning, let me tell you) so it is kind of understandable that she wouldn't like the feeling of being hemmed in.

As for me however, I used to revel in it! In fact as a small child I found it very hard to get to sleep unless I was tucked in very tightly, and looking like some kind of blue blanketed caterpillar. I even used to call out to mum if I got untucked. There was just something really comforting about being tightly pinned under a cosy sheet and blanket, that just made me feel secure.

Oh course, the best tucking-ins one could of ever of received were from nurses. I spent quite a few weeks in Brighton's Children's Hospital, over a number of years as I was growing up, and the nurses at the Royal Alex were nothing short of angels. They used to smile so sweetly at me, (although to be fair I was gorgeous!) before they would tuck me in at night, they always managed to do it SO tightly I could barely move. Ahh it was wonderful.

So if you're having trouble getting off to sleep at night, or you're just feeling a little bit chilly. Why not try tucking yourself in! (It can be done, with enough rolling from side to side) Or just get your other half to tuck you in tightly if you find it easier. I promise you, if you're not claustrophobic, you will love it. Bring back tucking-in I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment