Monday 23 December 2013

Twas the Mum before Christmas.

Twas the night before Christmas, and in the abode,
One creature was stirring, as she cleaned the commode,
The children were sleeping, all snug in their beds,
As visions of presents flipped through their heads.

Dad was snoring in front of the telly,
With a half-made bike strewn on his belly.
Only the mum heard the reindeers hooves clatter,
Which made her sigh, "Oh now what's the matter?"

With toilet bowl brush still clutched in her hand,
She descended the stairs, and saw an old man.
He was covered with ashes, which fell with a shrug.
"Oh great!" muttered mum, “I must clean the rug!”

“Ho-ho!” cried Santa, “I'm glad you're awake.”
“Your gift was especially tricky to make.”
“Thanks Santa,” she said, “but I must clean my home”
“No problem!” he chuckled, “I've made you a clone!”

“A clone?” she asked, “What good is that!?”
“Run along, Santa, I've no time for chat.”
But there stood her twin, same hair, and same eyes,
Same kindly smile, she was most surprised.

“She'll cook, she'll dust, she'll mop every mess.
Just relax, take it easy, put your feet up and rest”
“Fantastic!” mum cheered. “My dream has come true!”
“I'll shop. I'll read. I'll sleep the night through!"

But then from above, the youngest started to fret.
“Mummy?! I’m scared... and my bed is all wet."
The clone then replied, “I'm coming sweetheart!”
“Not bad!” the mum smiled, “She sure knows her part.”

The clone changed the small one, while humming a tune,
As she bundled the child, in a duvet cocoon.
“You the best mummy ever! I really love you!”
The clone smiled and sighed, “I love you, too.”

The mother then frowned and said, “Santa, no deal!
That's my babies love, she's trying to steal.”
Smiling wisely Santa said, “To me it is clear,
There’s only one mother, that’s needed here.”

The mum kissed her child, and tucked her in bed.
“Well thank you Santa, for clearing my head.
I sometimes forget, that it won't be long,
When they'll be too old, for my cradle-song.”

The clock on the mantle then started to chime.
Santa whispered to clone, “It works every time.”
Then back on his sleigh Santa took flight,
“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

No comments:

Post a Comment