Tuesday 28 January 2014

Wednesday

Ah yes dear people it's Wednesday . . . So today I thought I would grace you with some facts for all the fact fans out there. Yes it's Wednesday, also known as "The peak of the week", because of course, it falls squarely in the middle of the working week. After the steep uphill struggles of Mondays and Tuesdays, we are faced with climbing to the towering summit of week, at around lunchtime. When of course we can all sit back and proudly celebrate the achievements we have made thus far, and then make haste for the glorious downhill stretch towards the weekend, which lays before us like a row of sun soaked buttercup meadows.

The name Wednesday of course, as we all know, is of pagan origin and can be traced back to the English god Wōden. (A god whose heart, I believe, Elvis sang a song about in his film and subsequent album G.I. Blues) Of course, this pagan connection is why The Quakers actually refer to Wednesday as "Fourth day". "Hold on a minute," I hear you cry, "Surely if you going to do that why not just change all the days of the week!?" Well of course they do, Sunday being First Day, etc etc. (I mean you can't very well have the week going Fouth Day, Thursday, Friday, it just sounds silly!) Of course they do that with all the months as well, so today is actually Forth day the 29th of First Month. Not very imaginative I grant you, but whatever works for you I suppose. Although there is a kind of unerring logic to it, which is kind of nice.

Still I can't stay here lollygagging all day, as much as I would like to. There are still design battles to be won and job bags to be vanquished. So I shall bid you all a good day, and see you all on the downward slide of Friday Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment