Monday 3 March 2014

Shrovetide Tuesday

Brisk salutations, warm rub-downs and chillsome greetings to you all on this particularly shiversome Shrovetide Tuesday. Yes that's right, it's pancake day, yes it's pancake day, it's p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-pancake day. Although sadly not for me. Unfortunately the old 5-2 diet doesn't allow for the usual obscene mountain of pancakes spread liberally with strawberry jam or lemon curd. Still I guess it could be one of those things that I give up for lent.

Of course 'Shrove Tuesday' comes from the word 'shrive' which means 'to confess', people go through the process of self-examination and consider what wrongs they need to repent of. Well I must confess, I'm generally not very good at giving things up. In fact my usual tack is to proudly claim that for lent I am going to give up giving things up. Which I have to say is very similar to my usual New Year Resolutions.

So how should one go about giving up, giving things up? It could mean the opportunity to maybe start some new addictive habits or start eating more chocolates, sweets and fatty foods. Maybe start smoking a pipe!? I've never even tried smoking a pipe myself, but I have always liked the look of it. You can make seemingly intelligent and interesting points when you're holding a pipe. People seem to pay more attention to what you're saying if you point the end of your pipe at them when conveying your view. Then to show you've finished bestowing your priceless knowledge upon them you just stick the pipe back in your mouth and fold your arms. I mean who can argue with someone whose just made a point with a pipe and folded their arms? It's the end of the discussion surely.

Still, I'm sure there are far more sensible people than me out there, people who choose this time of year to try and make a positive alteration to their lives, even if it is just until Easter. So weather you're going to give giving up a go, or have a go at giving up giving things up, I wish you well in all your endeavors, whatever they may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment