Monday 31 March 2014

Worst Monday EVER!

Well as the comic book guy from the Simpsons might well say "Worst Monday EVER!" Yes, this first Monday after to clocks go forwards actually physically hurts doesn't it, I'm sure it's not just me. Oh course it doesn't help that I am feeling decidedly under the weather this morning either, although I'm not really sure how much of that is down to the whole clocks changing thing.

I mean a lot of people fling around the phrase "I'm just sick and tired of such and such", but this morning, like I usually do, I am thinking outside the box and am genuinely feeling ferociously exhausted with an accompanying headache, and as sick as a dog. Or is it, as sick as a parrot? Never too sure on that one. Still whether it's a dog or a parrot my feeling of sickness is akin to one or both of those.

Now the parrot I can understand, as I believe it stems from the time parrots were very popular and were worth a lot of money and so there was a lot of them being smuggled into the United States from South America. They used to dope the birds up on tequila, so when they brought them across the border they wouldn't be squawking their beaks off and give the game away. Which resulted in a massive parroty hangover! Although as for dogs, I'm not really sure, perhaps it's just because a dog if often used as a term of negativity.

Although, at various times cats, rats and even horses have been also dragged into that expression! Of course the odd thing about that, is that horses can’t actually vomit. Although I think my favourite and possibly the strangest member of the set was used by Jonathan Swift in 1731, who said: “Poor Miss, she’s sick as a Cushion, she wants nothing but stuffing” (No! Stop your tittering at the back!).

Still whatever it is I'm certainly feeling it this morning. I think The Cure summed it up quite well in their song 'Close to Me' when they said:

I've waited hours for this!
I've made myself so sick,
I wish I'd stayed asleep today,
I never thought that this day would end. . .

Still, don't mind me, I'll just struggle on trying to stay awake, while it feels like someone is chiseling the back of my eyeballs, and stirring the contents of my innards with a wet wooden spoon. Do try and have yourselves a Monday of sorts people.

P.S. On top of all this, I've also just discovered that I am going to be made redundant! Oh the fountains of joy never cease!

No comments:

Post a Comment