Monday 29 September 2014

Y-Y-Y-Yaaawwwn

Yaaaawwwwwn . . . Morning all. Sorry about that, still very much suffering with the sleepy. I also apologise for anyone I actually made yawn when they read that. A lot of us can't even read the word yawn, without wanting to have one themselves, they are highly contagious things, especially first thing in the morning.
Contagious yawning is a phenomenon that only really occurs in humans, chimpanzees and more surprisingly dogs as a response to hearing, seeing, or even thinking about yawning. How many times have you felt the urge to yawn while reading this!? (What do you mean, my posts always make you want to yawn anyway!? RUDE!) There have been many theories over the years as to why we do this; empathy has often been thought as the cause, and more recently, age has also been thought as a contributing factor. Apparently the older we get the less likely we are to catch a yawn.
However, the truth is that ultimately, contagious yawning still remains an unexplained mystery to scientists across the world. As for me, I think it comes down to a bit jealousy. I mean who doesn't enjoy the feeling of a great big yawn, especially when in conduction with a good old loud stretch.
I think, it's just a case of us simply seeing or imagining someone having a yawn and thinking to ourselves: I've got to get me some of that action!
So don't stifle your yawns today, enjoy them! Make the most of them it's Monday after all, people should expect yawns. Then sit back and watch the Mexican wave of yawns that will follow.
Toodleloo!

No comments:

Post a Comment