Monday 27 October 2014

Clock off!

It's true I'm afraid, Monday has happened again and as far as I'm concerned it's feeling even more trickier than normal. Now, I'm sure there's quite a few of you who enjoyed, even revelled in having that extra hour in bed yesterday morning – but not me!
The trouble is, just because we all turn back the clocks by one hour, it doesn't adjust our internal clock. The trouble for me is that you could probably set your watch by my brains clock! So yesterday morning, my brain woke up exactly one hour before I would usually wake up, and because it thought I should be getting up, instead of drifting back into a comfortable snooze for an hour, it went into wide awake mode.
So I just laid there for an hour just kind of wishing I could go back to sleep before giving in and getting up. No biggy right!? Wrong! What it meant was, that all day I was just doing everything an hour later than I would be otherwise. So by the time I got to the evening I was eating an hour later, unwinding and watching tv an hour later, then going to bed an hour later and eventually falling asleep an hour later than I would have done. All that stuff adds up and screws with your equilibrium.
Sadly this morning has started in the same vein! I woke up precisely one hour before my alarm was due to go off, leaving me once again very tired. Plus we all know today is going to seem like a very long day, and it will still come as a shock to the system when we leave work tonight in darkness.
What I think we need to solve this problem is a bank holiday Monday on the weekend when the clocks go back. Just to give our brains more time to get used to the winter clock settings. Or failing that, let's just go the whole hog and add a permanent extra day to our weekends over the winter! We could still have a five day working week, but just add an extra day after Sunday. It could be called Sitterday, just to keep the theme of starting the weekend days with an 'S'. So winter weeks would be 8 days long instead. Not a big change, but it would certainly help survive the dark winter months I reckon.
Right, I'm off to start a campaign for introducing Sitterday and send it off to Mr Cameron. Who's with me!?

No comments:

Post a Comment